9 ways to keep kids active at home
As the weather gets colder, many parents are looking for ways to keep their kids active at home. “Exercise is especially important,” said James Shuman, MD. “Not only does it help kids maintain a healthy weight, but it helps relieve pent up energy and stress.”
Dr. Shuman said exercise doesn’t have to involve sports – it’s about moving. He recommended being active at least one hour every day. “You can do it all at once or you can do 10 minutes at a time,” he said.
Here are some easy ways kids can keep active at home:
- Have a dance party. Put on some music and rock around the house.
- Go for a quick walk. A few 10-minute walks around the neighborhood are very beneficial.
- Play a fitness video game. Playing a video game that includes activity is a great way to burn some energy.
- Include your pets. Chase your dog around until someone captures a ball or toy.
- Play games. Hide-and-seek, scavenger hunts or indoor obstacle courses are fun.
- Do yoga. Try some basic yoga positions or just stretch.
- Play an exercise video. Many online services offer free virtual fitness classes.
- Have a fitness contest. See who can do the most jumping jacks or push-ups.
- Show your acrobatic skills. Cartwheels and handstands are fun ways to strengthen arm muscles and promote core strength.
Dr. Shuman said it’s important to choose activities you enjoy. “Change the “E” word from exercise to enjoyment. If you love what you are doing, you’ll keep doing it.”
Find the care you need, close to home
Our primary care physicians provide well visits and everyday care when you need it with compassion and expertise.Find Primary Care Near You