Six tips to help you eat your greens
You’ve heard it your whole life – eat your greens. Green fruits and vegetables pack many important nutrients for a low number of calories. They are also rich in fiber. Lisa Akly, RD, shared these six tips to help you add more green fruits and vegetables in to your diet on a regular basis.
- Prep your plate. Fill up half your plate with non-starchy vegetable. This includes broccoli, green beans, okra, zucchini and cabbage. These taste great when roasted. Just go easy on the oil and pay attention to your oven temperature. Steaming also allows you to cook your veggies quickly and conveniently.
- Create a satisfying salad. A combination of your favorite fresh greens and herbs like lettuces, kale, arugula, cilantro and parsley are the makings of a great salad. Add some additional color with tomatoes and carrots, along with heart healthy proteins such as beans, fish, nuts and seeds, and you have a satisfying meal. A touch of olive oil or avocado oil will add some heart healthy fats as well.
- Make the perfect pesto. Blend fresh basil, garlic, a few tablespoons of pine nuts or walnuts with a little parmesan cheese, ground pepper and olive oil and you have a mouthwatering pesto sauce that’s perfect for any whole grain pasta or lean protein such as skinless chicken.
- Serve up a soup. Legumes such as beans, peas and lentils, along with bay leaves, thyme and parsley are among some starters of a delicious soup recipe full of greens.
- Put together a snack. Enjoy some green grapes or kiwi fruit paired with low-fat yogurt, or celery paired with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Serve in a smoothie. Spinach or kale also make great additions to smoothies. Blend with fruits such as banana, pineapple, strawberries or any combination of your favorites. Add in milk, yogurt or a non-dairy alternative such soy or almond milk to the mix and enjoy a delicious treat.
Find a doctor
The best time to schedule a new patient visit is while you’re well. Find a provider who’s right for you by browsing their profiles.Let Us Help