Ways to make your transition to a new doctor smoother
You’ve decided it is time to find a primary care doctor. You’ve asked for recommendations from others, checked out nearby practices and read online reviews. But the work isn’t over yet. Elizabeth (Elise) LeBel, MD, shared these tips to help make sure the transition to your new doctor goes smoothly once you are ready for your first appointment.
- Schedule your first appointment. Call the office and schedule your first appointment with your new doctor. Make sure to ask what information you need to bring with you to your first visit.
- Get your health records transferred. Before your first visit with your new doctor, call your previous doctor and have your health records transferred. Check with the new office to make sure they have arrived before your first visit. This will help make sure your new doctor understands your full health story.
- Take your prescriptions with you to your appointment. An important part of your overall health is the prescriptions you are currently taking. Be sure to take a list of them with you to your first visit.
- Focus on connecting with your new doctor. The time you have with your doctor is very important. Make sure you take the time to get to know them and have them get to know you.
- Write down any questions you have. Sometimes you can get caught up in the moment and forget to ask questions. Write your questions down before your appointment to make sure you remember what you wanted to ask your provider while you have their time and attention.
- Take time after your first appointment to review your choice. After your first appointment, take some time to reflect on the appointment. Did you connect with the doctor? Did you feel taken care of by them? Did you feel heard? Choosing a doctor is an important step in your healthcare journey. You want to be certain you’ve chosen the right one for you.
Find the care you need, close to home.
Our primary care physicians provide well visits and everyday care when you need it with compassion and expertise.Find Primary Care Near You