6 tips for enjoying sports safely during COVID-19
Tailgating looks a little different this year due to COVID-19. Registered dietitian Lisa Money shared some suggestions on how to safely enjoy sports whether you are tailgating or watching at home.
- Get outside and exercise. Whether you are watching at home or are socially distancing in the stands at the game, use game time as a chance to exercise. Walk to the stadium or play some ball outside with your kids during halftime.
- Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. Washing your hands is best, but if you don’t have access to soap and water use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer often to keep your hands clean.
- Offer individually packaged snacks. Serve snacks and desserts in individually wrapped containers to avoid any chance of people sharing germs.
- Offer nutrient and Vitamin C rich foods. Add healthy options to your menu to help boost everyone’s health.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption. Consuming excess alcohol lowers your immunity. Drink flavored sparkling water, ginger beer, juices or water to stay cool. As cooler temperatures arrive, enjoy hot apple cider or hot chocolate as alternatives to alcohol.
- Offer protein rich foods. Serve food rich in protein like an egg and sausage casserole or traditional southern breakfast.
As always, remember to enjoy the game while practicing good hand hygiene, social distancing and mask wearing to protect your health and the health of others.