7 ways to support your immunity
In addition to protecting yourself from outside germs, it’s important to help your body’s immunity from the inside. Lisa Money, registered dietitian nutritionist, offered seven tips on how to build a resilient immune system.
- Vitamin C protects you by supporting your immunity. Pick citrus fruits, red bell peppers, strawberries, tomato juice or foods fortified with vitamin C, such as some cereals.
- Zinc helps your immunity and shortens the life of most colds and flu by two days. Lean meats, milk, whole grains, beans, seeds and nuts are great sources.
- Veggies high in beta carotene help protect against infections in the respiratory system. Eat sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, spinach, red bell peppers, apricots, eggs or foods labeled “vitamin A fortified,” such as milk or some cereals.
- Foods high in Vitamin D, like fatty fish, eggs, 100% juice, and fortified milk, eaten each week can decrease your body’s susceptibility to infection.
- Protein helps with a quick recovery. Eating lean meats, poultry, seafood, soy foods, beans, nuts and seeds are good choices.
- Drinking water and getting plenty of sleep (7–9 hours) contribute to your overall health.
- Prebiotics and probiotics may influence immune response as well, but be sure to speak with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian nutritionist before taking any immune-boosting supplements.
Get quick care online
Need same-day care for a minor condition such as cold, flu, sore throat or UTI? Get quick, convenient care online with a Prisma Health Virtual Visit.Learn More